Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Opinions?!?!?!? What's an opinion?

Free Image Hosting

I remember when I first got into punk and hardcore. It was the early 90's and it was one of the worst times for hardcore. Music was slowed down to a crawl. Songs were endless messes of chugging guitars and wretched screaming vocals. Ugh. My ears bleed just thinking about it. Well, things eventually got better and there are even still a few bands around now keeping the spirit alive. Anyways, I often think about about how hardcore has changed since I got into it. One thing I always go back to is how opinionated everyone was when I first got into it. Every show had twenty different 'zines all talking about this or that or whatever, straight edge, animal rights, religion, mean 'zines, etc. Not everyone agreed with everything, hell, some people even got sad all the time because they couldn't handle that not everyone thought exactly like them. A lot has changed since then, the styles, music, everything. Some for the better. Some for the worse.
There is one part that has continually gotten worse. And that would be opinions. Fuck, no one has opinions anymore. The music in the early to mid 90's was, for the most part, terrible shit. But at least those people has opinions and the best part, was that they were never afraid to say them.
Man, now I see people, everyone is afraid to offend anyone else. Got to watch what you say! Morons. I see 'zines and websites where people review something that they don't like, but instead of saying, "Hey, I think this sucks!", they take the easy (bitch) way out, "Um, this isn't my thing, I'm a big pussy, so I'll just say that 'they are good at what they do'" What the fuck!?!?!?!?! If I say that something sucks, I'll explain why I think it sucks, which is what should always be done. Clarify! But don't be a buster and censor yourself!
People who do this, I say, have what I call 'scene person syndrome'. This person is afraid that someone won't like them. This person wants to be friends with everyone, all bands, all people, etc. It is a sickening disease. Hey, I'm all for having lots of friends into different things, but never at the cost of altering what you think. These people are pretenders. And fake. They are easy to spot.
Oh, it gets worse when it gets to band dudes. Band dudes never have opinions at all anymore. Can't offend someone with the fact that you just might not like what their band is doing. I like to attribute this to music being filled with big babies who can't take criticism. I'm glad that most people in bands that I know aren't like this. If you are going to release music for anyone to hear, then chances are, some people might not be into it. The worst are the losers who threaten to beat up people who don't like their band. Idiots. There is a big difference between talking shit and stating your opinion.
So...
- stop being pathetic and stop being afraid to say what you think.
- not everyone will always like what you have to say, that's life.
I don't know, but when I got into things, hardcore and punk was about saying what was on your mind and not worrying about whether or not everyone liked it.

No comments: