Saturday, November 29, 2008

Unquestionable Presence...

I was lucky to get into non crappy music at a very very very very young age. And additional circumstances allowed me to be able to see a lot of these bands. There was one band that I loved that all my friend always made fun of me for. Atheist. Yes, the very talented Florida Death Metal band. A lot of people didn't like that band too much because they just weren't "brutal" enough. Why listen to Atheist when Obituary, Autopsy, Entombed or Massacre records were much harder? Whatever. I loved Atheist. So, eventually, Atheist was playing around me and I wasn't going to miss it. Luckily, they were touring with some other death metal legend, so I had no problem obtaining a ride. I think it might have been a show with Massacre (who I also loved), but I can't remember for sure. Shit, I barely remember ten years ago, much less the early 90's. Everything blends together. I was so sure Atheist would be the best thing I had ever, or would ever, see live. And they were amazing! It was funny though, no one moved when they played, just stood there and watched. I remember that well. Of course, Atheist was like the first technical death metal band, but shit wasn't called technical death metal then. That came later. Such a great band. Well, they went over like a lead balloon. Later on, chaos erupted for Massacre. But to me, the highlight was Atheist.
Side note: I had money somehow then, maybe from doing chores, haha, and I wanted an Atheist shirt and all they had were XL and those were huge on me then, but I wasn't not getting one, so I had an Atheist shirt that was huge on me. Kind of like a dress. I wore that thing everywhere for months.
Atheist. Great band.

No comments: